Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need a 1099 $statement.how do.I.get.it? Is the local

Customer Question
I need a 1099...

I need a 1099 $statement.how do.I.get.it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Is the local office open today santa Rosa ca

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Social Security
3/24/2018
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 26 days ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

If you need your current year or previous year SSA-1099 (tax year 2017 or 2016) you can sign up for an online account with "my social security" and you will be able to view, download, and print your 1099's. If you do not wish to create an account, or for some reason are unable to create an account, you can call SSA and they will mail a copy to you, or you can visit your local office there in Santa Rosa. Here are the instructions for all of the above:

1. Call the Social Security Administration customer service line: The number is(###) ###-####They’re available Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. eastern time. Be prepared to wait on “hold” for a half hour to an hour. But once you’re in you’ll get what you need quickly. Have your information ready.

2. Visit your local Social Security office. You may use their office locator tool to find the address, hours, and directions to the nearest office:
https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp; (Also, bear in mind that if you ever wish to change your direct deposit information, you can simply visit your bank and they can handle that request.)

3. Create an online “my social security” account. You will need the following information:

• Your name as it appears on your social security account, your social security number, and your date of birth;
  • A U.S. mailing address & phone # (there’s a link if you don’t have a home phone)
  • A U.S. issued driver’s license or ID card number, that is valid (not expired);
  • A valid e-mail address;
  • It helps if you have a cell phone that is capable of receiving text messages.
  • Be prepared to create (and write down) a user name and a password;
  • Be prepared to select three security questions/answers (and write them down also!);

Once you have all your materials together, go to the following web page, scroll down to the bottom, check the box that says “I agree to the terms of service,” and click “Next.”

https://secure.ssa.gov/RIR/CatsView.do

The program will take you through a series of questions. When completed it will send you a security code by text or e-mail. Choose text if you can.

Once your account is created you will have access to your earnings history, you will be able to change your address, order replacement cards, view your benefits, print a benefits verification, change your direct deposit information*, and view/print your SSA-1099 from the current year and one prior year, for tax purposes.

*Since 2013, the law requires that you receive your payments electronically. If for some reason you need to have a check mailed to you rather than deposited directly into your account, here is the waiver form that you must fill out, sign, and send to Treasury. The address is on the bottom left portion of the form:

https://www.ssa.gov/deposit/EFT%20Waiver%20Form.pdf

Note that Social Security also offers the “Direct Express Debit MasterCard” for recipients who either don’t have a bank account or don’t want their benefits deposited directly into their existing account. Here’s a link to the pamphlet with the information about the program and instructions on how to sign up:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10073.pdf

I hope this has helped. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer. You can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. And thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney