Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband died in 2012. I don't believe he got any payments…

Good Evening. My...

Good Evening. My husband died in 2012. I don't believe he got any payments from Social Security. I don't think he even applied for benefits. As his widow, can I get his Social security as his widow?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What additional information do you need?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I don't think so. I'm prepared to actually file an application myself, but just wondered if there's a possibility that I'm even entitled to file a claim. and could that claim be retroactive to the date of his death or when he turned 70? He always told me that he went to apply, but there was a problem. He never told me what the problem was, so I don't know what to think.

3/23/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will be assisting you today.

An unmarried widow or widower or surviving divorced spouse can receive full benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60. (A remarriage after age 60 does not prevent entitlement.)

A disabled, unmarried widow or widower or surviving divorced spouse can receive benefits as early as age 50. (A remarriage after age 50 and after the date you became disabled does not prevent entitlement.)

An unmarried widow or widower or surviving divorced spouse can receive benefits at any age if they take care of the deceased worker's child who is under age 16 or disabled and receiving Social Security benefits.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
I am still employed and working fulltime. Can I still apply to get widow's benefits?

If you have reached full retirement age then it would not be a problem.

Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.