Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How do you stop social security payments when the

Customer Question
How do you stop...

How do you stop social security payments when the beneficiary passes away?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My mother in law, Tressa M. Tynes, passed on March 18th. Her social security number is###-##-#### I am assisting my wife and her brother to stop her benefits.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/23/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.

In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to us.

You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

.

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-800_772_1213 (TTY 1-800_325_0778).

You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

You can also contact your local Social Security office.

An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

Let me know your zip code - and I will find local office serving your area.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues