Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My stepson is emotionally disabled and I have been handling…

Customer Question
My stepson is emotionally...

My stepson is emotionally disabled and I have been handling his SSDI contacts. He is on psychiatric meds for bipolar disease, and the Soc Sec admin ruled that he is now able to work, and his SSDI benefits were cancelled 2 1/2 years ago. We appealed that ruling, and the appeal process took 2 1/2 years, during which he continued to receive SSDI benefits. We believed in good faith that we were going to win our appeal. Unfortunately we lost. So now, Soc Sec is billing my stepson $35,281 for the money they kept paying him during the appeals process. So...my stepson, aged 51, has no assets except a 20-yr old car. He has no funds of his own, having been unable to work for the last 12 years during his disability. Although he is on medications which control his bipolar highs and lows, he still suffers from anxiety and depression, which keep him from working now. Can he be relieved of this debt? As I say, he has no assets of his own.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Joe is still unable to work because of ongoing psychiatric disabilities. Can he be relieved of his $35,281 debt to the Soc Sec Admin?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My telephone number is(###) ###-####
3/23/2018
Social Security Expert: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

I see you would like a call. When you see the prompt, you're welcome to click "accept."

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Accept
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've already paid $32; the amount seems to be going up and up. Please just answer my question in writing. I don't care to pay for a phone call. Thanks.

Hi. Unfortunately, because there was a long delay, I'm not available to assist you at this time. Also, I usually am not available on the site on Saturdays either. I'm very sorry. As a result, I can opt out and let another expert take this question over. You won't be charged any extra. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. I'll look forward to some written answer tomorrow. Thanks.
dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY