Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My mother passed 12/15/2017. I am the executor of her estate…

Customer Question
My mother passed 12/15/2017...

My mother passed 12/15/2017. I am the executor of her estate and am preparing her taxes for 2017. Need a copy of her 1099 from social security. How do I get this?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Need copy of my mothers current 1099 form for the IRS so we can submit taxes for my mother

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Have her death certificate if that is needed (hard copy)

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/23/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Please accept my deepest condolences for your family's loss.

An SSA-1099 is a tax form the SSA mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits.

It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to IRS on your tax return.

If you currently live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099, there are some options :

Using your online my Social Security account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online.

Go to Sign In or Create an Account. Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab;

https://www.ssa.gov/signin

Please be aware that you may not have online account for the deceased person.

Calling us at 1-800_772_1213 (TTY 1-800_325_0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.;

You may ask that form to be mailed to your address. That might take a week or so before you will have the form.

Contacting your local Social Security office.

The form will be printed immediately - but you may need to wait some time before a representative will serve you.

Let me know your zip code - and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.