Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I want to change my social security to my husbands as he…

Customer Question
I want to change...

I want to change my social security to my husbands as he died on March 6,2018. What do I need to do?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Do I need to go to office I dont have death certificate yet? Which is best way to do this?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/23/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.

In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to us. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****).

You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

You can also contact your local Social Security office.

An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

Let me know your zip code - and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.

.

A one-time payment of $255 can be paid to the surviving spouse if he or she was living with the deceased; or, if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased’s record.

.

If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60.

.

Let me know if you need any help.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.