Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am doing my taxes and I cannot find my 1099 from social…

Customer Question
I am doing my...

I am doing my taxes and I cannot find my 1099 from social security. How do I get a replacement?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I just need to know the amount that I made for 2017.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No. I just need that figure to report on my tax returns. I don't really need the form because things are reported electronically now and forms are no sent in with tax returns. So as long as the amount is correct, there is no problem.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/22/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

An SSA-1099 is a tax form the SSA mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits.

It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to IRS on your tax return.

If you currently live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099, there are some options :

• Using your online my Social Security account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online.

Go to Sign In or Create an Account. Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab;

https://www.ssa.gov/signin

• Calling us at 1-800_772_1213 (TTY 1-800_325_0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.;

You may ask that form to be mailed to your address. That might take a week or so before you will have the form.

• Contacting your local Social Security office.

The form will be printed immediately - but you may need to wait some time before a representative will serve you.

Let me know your zip code - and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.

I thought I was on the SS website. You guys just took me for $5 then tried to get me to sign up for some service. When I did get the SS website I got a cc of my 1099 in about 2 minutes. My error just cost me $5 for paragraphs of jargon which I did not want or need.

Sorry for confusion.

If that was not your intention - you are entitled for the full refund.

Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed.
If you are not able to get full refund - let me know - I will forward your request to the customer service.