Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I started drawing funds when i turned 67 and have continued…

Customer Question
I started drawing funds...

I started drawing funds when i turned 67 and have continued full time work and continued to pay social security someone suggested to me that i can reapply for benefits when i turn 70 is that possible

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

It just seems to me that since i contribute every paycheck that my benefits should be increased

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No not that i can think of except that i do turn 70 in sept

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Social Security
3/22/2018
Social Security Expert: TaxRobin, Tax Preparer replied 28 days ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You do not reapply for SSA to increase your benefits.

Each year SSA reviews the records for all working Social Security recipients. If your earnings for the prior year are higher than one of the years they used to compute your retirement benefit, SSA will recalculate your benefit amount. SSA pays the increase retroactive to January the year after you earned the money.

If you believe they have been remiss you would need to make an appointment and go to your local office.

TaxRobin
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer