Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My Tax Accountant advised me that I should have more money…

Customer Question
My Tax Accountant advised...

My Tax Accountant advised me that I should have more money taken out of my Social Security Check to pay Federal & State Taxes. How do I do that?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What do you want to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My tax accountant advised I phone you and ask to have more taxes taken out of my Social Security monthly check. What should I do to have that done?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/22/2018
Social Security Expert: Carter McBride, CPA replied 3 months ago
Carter McBride

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

fill out Form W4-V https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4v.pdf

And mail that to your local Social Security office.

When you complete the form, you will need to select the percentage of your monthly benefit amount you want withheld. You can have 7, 10, 12 or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld for taxes.

Social Security does not have the authority to withhold state taxes.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Hey! Just wanted to follow up to see if you needed anything else. If not, please leave a rating so I can get credit for helping you out. Thanks!