Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am a UK Citizen who owns a business in the USA and is an…

Customer Question
I am a UK Citizen...
I am a UK Citizen who owns a business in the USA and is an E2 Visa holder. I have been here for nearly five years and have paid into the USA Social Security, Medicare and CA Disability for the whole time. I am looking to return to the UK and would like to know if there is any way of getting some or all of this money back when I return to the UK.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Unfortunately - social security and Medicare taxes are not refundable unless paid by error...

You are not eligible for the refund just because you plan to live the US .

Sorry if you expected differently.

what reasons would they have been paid in error

If for instance you have two jobs - and each took social security taxes from wages - with total above the maximum limit.

The maximum taxable wages for 2017 is $118,500

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.