Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If you have been married to two spouses more than ten years…

Customer Question
If you have been...

If you have been married to two spouses more than ten years and they both are deceased, can you elect to draw benefits from the one that would pay the most in benefits to you?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have been receiving benefits from the last spouse but my first spouse that I was married to for over 17 years just died and I want to know if I can look into which one would net me the most benefits?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No I was married to both women for over ten years but have been receiving benefits from the last spouse for five years and just learned of my first spouse's death a few weeks ago. She worked for the State for over forty years and was eligible to receive full salary because of the number of years she worked as a reemployed annuitant and total years ofservice.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/21/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 4 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

Yes, that's exactly the way it works. Although Social Security will not allow for the "stacking of benefits," as they call it (adding one benefit TO another), they will always take you up TO the highest benefit - by paying a combination of the two.

...

You'll simply need to apply for the survivor benefit on the other spouse's work record.

...

https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

I gave you the link for applying online, above.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

...

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane