Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I will be turning 66 in October 2018- I am still working and…

Customer Question
I will be turning...

I will be turning 66 in October 2018- I am still working and I have been divorced from my first husband and 2nd. I was married to my first husband for 11 years and I want to know how much of his social security I can draw when I turn 66 and I am still working?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No I am fully vested with social security and I currently working for stat e of Ohio and not putting into social security

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/21/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your full retirement age (FRA) is 66.

If you will start your spousal social security benefits from the month you turn 66 or later - you will be entitled for 50% of benefits awarded to your first husband.

You will be only eligible for spousal benefits if your first husband already started his benefits or if he reached his FRA.

You may work and receive your social security benefits without restrictions after you reach your FRA.

Before you reach 66 - your earning is limited.

If you will reach full retirement age in 2018, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $45,360.

The SSA will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

If you are working at job which doesn't contribute into social security system - your spousal benefits may be subject to GPO - government pension offset provision and may be reduced.

Questions?

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.