Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I applied for social security retirement at 62 when I had…

Customer Question
I applied for social...

I applied for social security retirement at 62 when I had been out of a job for quite a while. After receiving it for 7 months or so, I found a new job. I have applied to withdraw my claim and did that in the 12 month window I was allowed. I knew that I would have to pay it back, but they are saying that I need to pay it all back in full immediately. I was under the impression that I could set up a payment plan for that. Is there anything that you can do to help me?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I don't think so, thanks!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/20/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

That is correct - If you change your mind about receiving benefits, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim, only if it has been less than 12 months since you were first entitled to benefits.

Requirements for Withdrawal (WD) of a Benefit Application

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200206005

The beneficiary who requests a WD of his or her claim must repay all benefits he or she received, before we approve the withdrawal request.

.

So far - there is no no installment repayment plan in such situation.

If you are not able to repay - your application to withdraw your Social Security claim will NOT be approved and will be simply rejected.

Sorry if you expected differently.