Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I HAVE A GRANDSON WHO IS SERVING IN THE MILITARY (US ARMY)

Customer Question
I HAVE A GRANDSON...

I HAVE A GRANDSON WHO IS SERVING IN THE MILITARY (US ARMY) who is going to be home on leave in early April of 2018 He is 20 years old and we are going to court on April 10, to get his name changed back to his birth name of Robert Jamison Ludwig. His birth father passed away in 2007 and his mother and step dad had his name changed. We have followed all the legal steps with an attorney and the court date and procedure has been set. Is their some type of paperwork that needs to be processed in advance? He still has his original SS number and doesn't want to change it since he has some earnings history with it. He needs to be back at Ft. Bragg by the end of that week so I'm trying to make this process and transition as easy as possible for him, Can you advise me of the procedures to follow.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not to my knowledge. Just looking for guidance.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/20/2018
Social Security Expert: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

I HAVE A GRANDSON WHO IS SERVING IN THE MILITARY (US ARMY) who is going to be home on leave in early April of 2018 He is 20 years old and we are going to court on April 10, to get his name changed back to his birth name of Robert Jamison Ludwig. His birth father passed away in 2007 and his mother and step dad had his name changed. We have followed all the legal steps with an attorney and the court date and procedure has been set. Is their some type of paperwork that needs to be processed in advance?

Response 1: No, there is none. You have to wait for Court Order to file change of name with agencies or places where he needs to update the name change.

He still has his original SS number and doesn't want to change it since he has some earnings history with it.

Response 2: And he does not have to. His Social Security Number will not be changed because of the name change. All he needs would be to go to the local office of Social Security Administration to update the name change after the name change Order is issued.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.