Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife has been disabled since 2003. 3-back surgeries,

Customer Question
My wife has been...

My wife has been disabled since 2003. 3-back surgeries, removed thyroid, and multiple other medical problems. Can't leave house. Does she qualify for a disability retirement? She's almost 62 years old

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I just turned in my SS retirement paperwork and I will receive over 2000.00 a month. When she turns 62 will she qualify for 1/2 my amount since she's worked very little?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so. Just trying to find out what she qualifies for. When I die does she still get my SS full amount?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/20/2018
Social Security Expert: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

Response 1: She can apply for Social Security disabilities benefit to see if she would be approved. She would be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits if she can show that she has worked long enough to earn benefits and that she is unable to work because of her disability and that her disability is expected to last for at least 12 months. Social Security Administration has a very strict definition of disability. If she has not worked long enough to qualify for benefits, she may be able to get Supplement Security Income (“SSI”). This is a program for people who are elderly or disabled who have very little or no assets and have not worked long enough to qualify for regular Social Security Disability benefits (“SSDI”).

Her ailment should be on the list of impairments. Click here to see the list:

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm

She can apply for benefits online or make appointment to go to the Social Security Administration local office. She is better off doing it online in the privacy of her home--she can take your time in completing the application and the disability report.

Response 2: The amount that she would ultimately receive would depend on her age and if there other family members eligible to receive on your record. For more information, click here.

When I die does she still get my SS full amount?

Response 3: It would depend on her age at your passing. If she has reached her full retirement age at that time, she would get 100% benefit. Otherwise, no. For more information, click here.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation