Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Is there a maximum per month that one can collect at age 70?

Customer Question
Is there a maximum...

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Once again, based on your highest 40 quarters, is there a maximum that one can be paid per month thru social security?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
3/19/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

The average Social Security benefit currently being paid out to retirees is $1,372 per month.

The maximum primary insurance amount a retiree could receive in 2018 at his/her full retirement age, is $2,788 per month.

Those who delayed benefits till age 70 are getting extra up to 32% increase - and the maximum could be up to $3,680 per month.

.

However - the actual amount is not limited by 40 quarters - but is calculated using the 35 highest-earning years indexed for inflation.

This average worker's lifetime average-indexed monthly earnings is used to calculate PIA - primary insurance amount - for 2018, this is:

• 90% of the first $896
  • 32% of the amount greater than $896, but less than $5,399
  • 15% of the amount greater than $5,399

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 29 days ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor