Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to find out about spousal benefits. My wife was born…

I need to find...

I need to find out about spousal benefits

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My wife was born in 1953. Is she entitled to any spousal benefit in view of the fact that I am 75 and receiving social security benefits

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Well I'm not sure what information you would need.

3/19/2018
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Is she entitled to any spousal benefit in view of the fact that I am 75 and receiving social security benefits

Yes - your spouse is eligible for spousal benefits - which are based on YOUR working record.

The amount depends when your wife started her social security benefits?
If she starts at her FRA - full retirement age - which is 66 - her spousal benefits will be 50% of the amount you are entitled.

If she starts before that age - her spousal benefits will be permanently reduced.

If she did not apply yet - she may restrict her application to spousal benefits ONLY - and that will let her own benefits to grow.

Let me know if you need any help.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Phone call session started
when will you call me

I am getting redirecting to voice mail - please verify.

sorry we got disconnected can you call me again

still getting voice mail...

my phone is working please try to call me again

You will see in the following chart

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/1943.html

how spousal benefits are affected when starting before FRA

If your spouse starts at 65 exact - her spousal benefits will be 45.8% of your amount.

Sorry for the confusion. Will you be able to call me again

I am still getting voice mail ... tried several times.