Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My brother-in-law is 71 and collecting Social Security

My brother-in-law is 71...

My brother-in-law is 71 and collecting Social Security benefits. He has a small business that makes a minor amount of money, which he includes in his income tax filings. .He is now losing his sight and can no longer drive, so cannot continue this business. Would he qualify for any increase in the amount of Social Security he is receiving?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of. Did not want to get him involved if there is no chance, but will let him know if there is. He and my sister do not have the funds to pursue if it would be expensive. They live in S.C. - I am in Florida.

3/19/2018
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Unfortunately - there is no increase in social security benefits based on health issues.

Social security benefits are calculated using average earning over all life.

However - when social security benefits are below $750 and there is no other income - it is possible to qualify for SSI - supplemental security income.

Another option woudl be to qualify for Medicaid

Please verify his income - and I help with determination.

Not sure he much he gets,but sure it is more than $750. Thanks for your help.

What state does he live?
I will verify Medicaid eligibility.

South Carolina

for South Carolina -

https://www.scdhhs.gov/income-limits

he will be eligible for Medicaid with annual income less than $ 12,140

and teh value of his countable resources below $ 7,560

I assume that is living along.

Please verify and try to apply - that will help a lot with taking care for his health.

No, he would not qualify. Thanks

Sorry for that - that was my hope.

.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor