Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can SS withhold a garnishment to my check if i am disabled…

Can SS withhold...

Can SS withhold a garnishment to my check if i am disabled and don't work

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

There are several garnishments we have been notified about being taken out of the SS disablilty check. on is for school and the other we haven't found out yet because we are trying to get a copy of the court order. the situation is that a father with custody of his two children has MS and can't work. He gets his check for SS and the additional amounts for the children. there are two things suddenly coming out of the check. one is for a previous student loan that is several years old and he was of the understanding that it was waived. now it is not. the other we are waiting to find out about by getting a copy of the actual court document. Suddenly everyone wants something. the check isn't that big to begin with. with them taking that out, it is hindering his ability to take care of his family. i am acting on his behalf because he doesn't always understand it fully.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

That is about it for now. we just need to know what is necessary to fight these and what paperwork or anything we need to have.

3/19/2018
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner

Welcome to the site. I'm PDtax, and will be helping you today.

The Federal government can garnish SSDI benefits for back student loans, just like regular social security. The maximum they can retain is 15%.

You can have this temporarily stopped by requesting a hardship review. During the process, the garnishment will not be honored.

This could give you the time to request a hardship waiver (i.e., the wage garnishment would make it impossible to support my family, pay our bills, etc.).

Start with a request directly to SSA. A personal visit to an office to start the process will be the most effective.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Please rate my response with up to five stars (that's best) top complete your request. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
This was of great help. So much better that we know today