Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have been divorced from my husband.. He just died

Customer Question
I have been divorced...

I have been divorced from my husband.. He just died yesterday and I was wondering if I would get benefits. I am now getting $899.00 per month. I am 85 years old and I sure could use some extra income. I am kind of embarrassed asking this so soon. but we have been divorce for 20 years.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of. Do I need a death certificate? or how do you when he died. Our son was with him and died the day after he left.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Social Security Expert: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Just Answer is not associated with Social Security. So, we do not have access to your personal information.

A person can receive benefits as a divorced spouse on a former spouse’s Social Security record if he or she:

1. Was married to the former spouse for at least 10 years;

2. Is at least age 62 years old;

3. Is unmarried; and

4. Is not entitled to a higher Social Security benefit on his or her own record.

In addition, the former spouse must be entitled to receive his or her own retirement or disability benefit. If the former spouse is eligible for a benefit, but has not yet applied for it, the divorced spouse can still receive a benefit if he or she meets the eligibility requirements above and has been divorced from the former spouse for at least two years.

Generally, SSA cannot pay benefits if the divorced spouse remarries someone other than the former spouse before age 60, unless the latter marriage ends (whether by death, divorce, or annulment), or the marriage is to a person entitled to certain types of Social Security auxiliary or survivor's benefits.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.