Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If a woman is 45 and her husband is 73 and he dies can she…

If a woman is...

If a woman is 45 and her husband is 73 and he dies can she draw part of his ss.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Is she able to draw part of his ss yes or no

3/18/2018
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:

• receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60.

• begin receiving benefits as early as age 50 if you are disabled and the disability started before or within seven years of the worker's death.

If a widow or widower who is caring for the worker's children receives Social Security benefits, they're still eligible if their disability starts before those payments end or within seven years after they end.

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older—100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60—full retirement age—71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59—71½ percent;
  • Widow or widower, any age, caring for a child under age 16—75 percent;

Questions?

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor