Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience.
77476456

I was born in 1955. if I retire at 65 will my husband still

Customer Question

i was born in 1955. if I retire at 65 will my husband still be eligiible for social security. doesn't have enough point due to illness
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am a teacher wanting to retire at the end(June) of 2019. I wil be 64 and six months. how will that affect my ss.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My husband doesn't have enough points. ss said when I retire, he will be eligible for ss benefits under me.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You can defitely retire at your planned retirement date. And your husband will qualify fr a retirement benfite called a spousal benefit based off your work record. His benefit spousal benefit does NOT reduce your benefit.

As to your retirment date, Since you were born in 1955 your full retirement age is 66 and 2 months. This means that your benefit amount will be slightly decreased because you are retireng a little earlier than your full retirement age. If you have the funds to do so then do not let that worry you. The life expectancy tables are such that the amount that you collect will be close to the same over the course of your lifetime. When you delay retirement you get a little more because you are not expected to live as long at that point, and vice-versa.

You can estimate how much you will receive by using this calculator:

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/estimator.html

Also if you decide to delay retirement until after age 65, then make sure you still apply for Medicare at age 65. If you apply late for Medicare they penalize you.

See:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/justmedicare.html

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald