Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My Spouse is 65 and i am 66. We both draw standard benefits.

My Spouse is 65...

My Spouse is 65 and i am 66. We both draw standard benefits. She started at 62 and i started at 66. She has been diagnosed with a genetic form of dementia. Does SSDI apply in her case?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What do you need to know

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If her medical condition prevent her from getting and keeping a job than yes, she would qualify for SSDI but only until she reach her full retirement age. At full retirement age her benefits would go back to the original amount unless her doctor can documents that her disability started before age of 62. If that's the case she will get paid retroactively and keep a the full retirement age amount.

SSDI are based on full retirement age amount, if she applied at 62, her benefits have been permanently reduced.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
All done. Thank you