Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 70 and my wife will be 66 when she retires. I receive…

I am 70 and...

I am 70 and my wife will be 66 when she retires. I receive $1690 a month and she will get 1600 will we receive the total of both or is there still a marrage penalty

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Will we get a lesser amount of each of our individual benefit amounts

3/16/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Assuming you are talking about social security benefits, you each get your own benefits. Her applying for her own will not reduce yours or vice versa.

The so called "marriage penalty" applies to tax on social security benefits, not the actual benefits.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
thank you