Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I receive an U S government pension payment and a Social…

I receive an U...

I receive an U S government pension payment and a Social Security payment as well. I was told that my Social Security payment would be reduced about 50% because of my Government retirement benefit. Is this a fact?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else do you want to know? Does SS get reduced if a government retirement is also paid?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of.

3/15/2018
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Yes, basically that is correct although the actual reduction of your Social Security benefits can vary from the 50% based upon the number of actual months of substantial covered Social Security earnings. Also, the 50% comes from the fact that there's a rule which provides that your Social Security benefits can't be reduced by more than 50% of your pension from your non-covered (government earnings).

If you are nearing retirement, the only way to obtain an accurate estimate of what your actual Social Security Retirement benefits will be is to make an appointment with your local Social Security office and meet with a Benefits Counselor to go over your actual figures from both your projected Government Pension and your own Social Security Earnings record to determine your approximate net Social Security Retirement benefit. They will be able to plug your actual figures into their Benefit projection software & come up with an excellent estimate of your actual Social Security Retirement Benefit.

I'll give you a link where, using your ZipCode, you can find the address and local telephone number of the closest local Social Security office. You should make an appointment rather than just "walk in" to avoid an extended waiting period in the office for those without appointments.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me with assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

keeperumiami