Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I receive ssi, and I had an savings account with money that…

I receive ssi, and...

I receive ssi, and I had an savings account with money that belonged to my brother, ssi found out and i closed the account and gave him the money, ssi wants me to bring him in with his bank statement, to show proof of where the money went, and he has to make a statement, i was just wondering what kind of statement he has to make?

3/15/2018
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Ok

They will be asking him to confirm that the money in the account was his and confirm that you returned it to him.

Obviously, if the money was actually yours & you gave it to him to hold for you, then it would affect your SSI benefits.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

keeperumiami
ok, they want his bank statement, to show where the money went after i closed the account, and they said he had to make a statement, would it have to be a sworn statement?..

I presume that they would ask him to make the statement under the penalty of perjury, which is simply confirming that he understands that if he were to make a false statement, he could be subject to penalties for lying to defraud a federal program. If the money didn't get deposited into one of his bank accounts, then there would be more reliance on his statement being accurate. If you returned the funds to him & he deposited into one of his bank accounts, it would be difficult to challenge him that it wasn't his money.