Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Need to know rule and regs on ssi. Son is on ssi and has an…

Customer Question
Need to know rule...

Need to know rule and regs on ssi

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Son is on ssi and has an offer to go to work at 10.00 hr what haqppens t5o his ssi he is legally blind as well as mental problems all his life

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not that iknow of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Social Security Expert: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Michael Bradley

how long has he been collecting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
don't know but he 42

how many hours of work are they offering him?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
full time

even with SSI he is allowed to work

however, with 40 hours a week at 10 an hour it will probaably be above the thresh hold to keep receiving SSI

as per the SS government website

Generally, SSDI recipients can't start doing "substantial gainful activity" (SGA) and continue to receive disability benefits. In a nutshell, doing SGA means you are working and making more than $1,180 per month in 2018 (or $1,970 if you're blind). There are exceptions to this rule, however. For SSDI recipients, there is a trial work period during which you can make more than the SGA amount without losing your benefits.

SSDI recipients are entitled to test their ability to work and continue to receive full benefits regardless of whether they make more than the SGA amount, for a nine-month trial work period. For 2018, the SSA considers any month where a person has a monthly income of more than $850 a trial work month. If you are self-employed, any month where you work more than 80 hours (or earn more than $850) is a trial work month.

Once you have completed the nine-month trial work period, for a period of 36 months, you can still receive SSDI for any month where your earnings fall below the SGA level. This is called the extended period of eligibility. In other words, if you earn less than $1,180 per month, you will get benefits, but if you earn more than $1,180 per month, you won't get disability benefits for that month.

Following your trial work period, if your SSDI payments have stopped because your income is substantial, the SSA gives you five years during which your benefits can be reinstated if you again stop working because of your disability. During the five-year period, the SSA will not require you to file a new disability application to get benefits. This is called expedited reinstatement.

before he takes the job I would talk to a rep at your local SS office

It usually is always better to be working and it sounds like a great opportunity for him

can I help you further?

dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY