Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I will turn 65 in June of this year. Although I still am not…

Customer Question
Hi, I will turn...

Hi, I will turn 65 in June of this year. Although I still am not sure if I want to apply for benefits since I am still employed, I am a concerned about what documents I have to submit. Could you please advise?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My last name of my birth certificate is incorrect. I was born in Cleveland, Ohio but I am a resident in Puerto Rico. All of my documents i.e. Baptism, First Communion Certificate, driver's license, US Passport and my social security all have my correct first and last name. The only document with the incorrect last name is ***** ***** on my Birth Certificate. Will this be a problem when I apply for my SS benefits.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/13/2018
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 5 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Here's list of documents you will need to apply: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying5.html

As long as you name was legally changed when you got married for instance, it does not matter that your birth certificate has different name. Many people do change their names during their lifetime because of marriage, divorce, adoption, naturalization (becoming US citizen) or other valid reasons. You cannot change your birth certificate once issued.

It's not that I changed my name legally, when I was born the hospital registered me using my father's maiden last name not his father's last name and as I already have explained all of my documents appear with my father's correct last name. In other words, my birth certificate does not have my correct last name. Again, how could this affect me problem when I apply for my SS benefits?

It will not. If you have a passport and social security card with a correct name, it all that matter. I do not know how you got the passport and social security card with correct name but sometime in the process social security must have received a legal document that made the correction available. Again, your name can change during your lifetime and as long as your passport and social security card has the correct name, that's all you need.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?