Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am now on disability due to a pending shoulder repair to…

I am now on...

I am now on disability due to a pending shoulder repair to my left arm, due to my RA and its continuing deterioration of my joints. Last year I fell at work and WC has deemed me 8% lower back disabled, which I receive continued care for. I am 58yrs old and an RN who still works directly with patients in Home Health care. Would I be eligible to retire now as a disabled person and how would I go about it? Thank you Mary Mastaler(###) ###-####

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not that I'm aware if at this time, other then after my pending surgery I will have a 2 to 6 month recovery time.

3/13/2018
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

As far as Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) is concerned, you would have to apply for that status; it isn't age restricted, but when you are dealing with SSDI there's no partial disability; If you did qualify for SSDI, your benefits would approximate what you would receive at your full retirement age.(66 + 8 or 10 months depending upon your year of birth). Generally, you would need to be "permanently" disabled & not expected to recover within a year.

As you may know you can collect retirement benefits at any time after you attain age 62, but your benefits would be permanently reduced at the rate of 8% a year for each year you begin collecting retirements benefits prior to reaching your full retirement age.

Also, if you were eligible for SSDI or retired early, there are earnings limitations that would apply until you reach your full retirement age.

Let me know if I can answer any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

keeperumiami