Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can I apply for Social Security benefit while I am still…

Can I apply for...

Can I apply for Social Security benefit while I am still working.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am currently working, I'm 64 and the job I have is one where I may be terminated at any moment. I would like to continue to work until that happens (or I get so fed up that I can't take it anymore). So, can I apply for retirement now even though I am technically working with not stop date. ( I understand that I may not actually get benefits), but is that possible so that when I am let go, I have retirement all in place?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My husband is currently retired, and I have a 33 year old disabled daughter. If that counts

3/12/2018
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

The answer is yes - You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time.

However, if you are younger than full retirement age (FRA) and make more than the yearly earnings limit, the SSA will reduce your benefit.

Your FRA is 66.

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, the SSA will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2018 that limit is $17,040.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.

Let me know if that helps or if you need any additional clarification.

I do not have to tell my employer that I am retiring.. I can apply for Social Security and, Yes, I may not collect until I am let go, but is there anything I would need to do when I am let go or will Social Security automatically know that I am not receiving and income anymore.

Absolutely not - you are NOT required to tell your employee anything.

Moreover - you might be eligible to receive social security benefits and unemployment benefits at the same time - but that is based on your state regulations..

If you choose to apply - you may tell the SSA what are your current wages - and if more than the limit - they will reduce your benefits.

When you stop working - you will contact the SSA again - and they will remove that reduction.

The SSA will be updated on your wages only in January of the following year.

Your employer is not required to know about that.

At age 65 - you may apply for Medicare - regardless if you are working or not.

That's great!. So to be clear, I contact SSA when I am no longer working. I'm already over their limit of 17,000+. They remove the restriction and that should make benefits to start. What do you mean about the SSA will be updated on your wages only in January of the following year?

Yes - that is correct.

However - in the year you retire - $17,040 may not be used - but will be only used income received during months after you retire.

What do you mean about the SSA will be updated on your wages only in January of the following year?

When you employer issue W2 form reporting your wages - at that time information will be sent to the SSA regarding your income.

Before that - the SSA will know about your wages ONLY if you tell them.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Thank you