Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What is the proceedure process when someone dies without a…

Customer Question
What is the proceedure...

What is the proceedure process when someone dies without a Will and has been receiving SSI checks and benefits

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My brother just went home and I,m trying to find out do I contact SS to stop further benefits from pay out to his bank account and what to do with the benefits he has alright received

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I don't think so I don't know I'm the last surviving relative

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/12/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Please accept my deepest condolences for your family's loss.

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.

In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to us. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-800_772_1213 (TTY 1-800_325_0778).

You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office.

An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

If you choose to visit a SSA office - let me know your zip code and I will find a local office serving your area.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues