Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My SSD Benefits Planning Query (BPQY) states my current SGA…

My SSD Benefits Planning...

My SSD Benefits Planning Query (BPQY) states my current SGA level is limited to $1,170/month. I'm thinking of driving for UBER so I can stat within the Social Security guidelines. Realistically because of my disability, I may only make about half of that a month. Question Is there a limit of months I can work within the limits before I might get taken off benefits

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I keep reading about a "trial work period" and don't want social security to think my working is a trial to see if I can return full time to work because I can't. I know my limits and some months I can't work at all. Don't want to give a false impression that my disability is getting better. I have a life time diagnosis.

3/10/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

As long as you keep your monthly earnings bellow $840, it will not be counted as trial work period. And even if you occasionally go above $840, you have 9 month of trial work period month within 5 years you can use, before social security start asking questions. You will not lose your benefits instantly, but if you continuously earn over $1180 (for 2018) you will eventually lose your benefits.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. One more question: I tried handyman work in 2017 under my own sole proprietor LLC and averaged $285/month (after expenses) and only went over $840 in one month. I think I remember the Social Security office telling me to turn in my 2017 schedule C to report those earnings. Is this your understanding on how I report my earnings to them? and, will they count that one month over $840 towards my limit of 9 months?

Yes. Schedule C is your profit and loss statement. You are allowed 9 month of trial work period every 5 years.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser