Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have ssdi and have a son that lives with me in my house.

Customer Question
I have ssdi and...

I have ssdi and have a son that lives with me in my house. Can he pay half of the utilities and me not lose my ssdi

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/10/2018
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 4 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

SSDI is not "means tested" which means your financial status does not affect your SSDI benefits.

The only restriction is on your earned income, as you probably know.

So there's no problem with your son paying 1/2 your Utilities or anything else or there's no restriction on any other financial arrangement you make with him or anyone else.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,