Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was born in November, 1947 and began taking Social

I was born in...

I was born in November, 1947 and began taking Social Security at age 66. My wife was born January, 1950 and began taking Social Security at age 66. It was to our advantage for her benefits to be based on 50% of what mine were at age 66. If I predecease her, can she drop her stream of benefits and assume mine?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

If it helps in answering the question, my benefits are about 30,000, hers are about 15,000.

3/9/2018
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

As you plan for the future, you'll want to think about what your family would need if you should die now.

Your widow can receive 100% of your benefits.

If your widow will qualify for retirement benefits on her own record, they can switch to their own retirement benefit or to survival spouse benefits whatever is larger.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Five stars! Simple, direct answer. Thank you

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor