Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How much money can I have in my bank account before I lose…

Customer Question
how much money can I...
how much money can I have in my bank account before I lose SSID benefits
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/9/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you are getting social security benefits - which are based on your working record - there is NO limit on your assets.

But if you have any mean tested benefits - then you are subject to limitation.

For instance - if you are getting Supplemental Security Disability Income or if you are covered by Medicaid -

there are limited income; and limited resources; qualification requirements.

The SSDI limits for countable resources which includes your bank account are:

Individual/Child—$2,000

Couple—$3,000

Let me know if that helps?

Will I lose my ssdi immediately, or only if my excess resources last for a certain period of time/

You will become ineligible for Supplemental Security Disability Income after your assets become above that limit,

But you will be able to re-apply when you spent-down the money below that limit.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.