Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was married for 25 years to a person that put in for

Customer Question
I was married for...

I was married for 25 years to a person that put in for social security. He remarried and now is deceased. Is there anyway I can collect on HIS social security, we have 2 grown children too. Thanks, ***** ***** Waits

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No, not that I can think of. I just went to dinner with some other women and they were collecting their X husbands social security and I just wanted to check.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
3/8/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Hi Mary ,

If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more.

Benefits paid to you as a surviving divorced spouse who meets the age or disability requirement as a widow or widower won't affect the benefit rates for other survivors getting benefits on the worker's record.

If you remarry after you reach age 60 (age 50 if disabled), the remarriage will not affect your eligibility for survivors benefits.

Your benefits will be based on the age when you start receiving benefits - you are eligible as earlier as you turn 60 - but benefits will be reduced if you start before your FRA - full retirement age.

Let me know if you need help with determination.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lev, what do I do now? I will b 60 next month. I have my deceased spouse, SS#, etc, how do I proceed

If you plan to start at age 60 - you will be eligible staring the month after you turn 60.

You may apply now - you may apply on the phone or by visiting any local SSA office.

In any case - you will need to bring supporting documents - specifically - your marriage and divorce certificates.

These will establish your eligibility.

You may be asked for death certificate of your ex-spouse.

Let me know your zip code - and I will find contact information.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My zip code is 30533

Address:SUITE 210
2565 THOMPSON BRDG RD
GAINESVILLE, GA 30501

DIRECTIONS: HWY 60N ABOUT 4 MILES NORTH OF TOWN, RUBICON BUILDING ONSITE HANDICAP PARKING AVAILABLE-- CUSTOMER PARKING ACROSS THE STREET - tHE CONTACT STATION IN BLUE RIDGE IS FOR WALK IN ONLY

Phone:1-866_331_2309 TTY:1-770_531_0263

Hours:

Monday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tuesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Thursday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

SaturdayClosed

SundayClosed

Please be aware that your FRA for survival benefits is 66 and 4 months - at that age you woudl be eligible for 100% of your ex-spouse benefit amount.

If you start at age 60 - the survivors benefit you will receive is reduced to 71.5% of that amount - BUT you be getting them for longer period.

Let me know if that helps.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor