Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Let me know how I can go about changing my address. I

Please let me know...

Please let me know how I can go about changing my address

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I recently gave up my P.O. Box which is the address you have and would like to change it to my physical address. Don't know how to go about it. Tried the phone... no good. Can you help me do it?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not really but ask anything you need to know to help me with this issue.

3/8/2018
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

First of all, I presume that you are talking about changing your address for Social Security purposes? If so, at this point, there are two basic ways to make the change. (If this isn't the case let me know).

1. You can go to http://ssa.gov and each set up a "MySocialSecurity" account. Once you do that, you'll be able to update your address as well as check the other information in your record for accuracy.

2. The other option is to call or visit your local Social Security office. I presume that you tried the 1-***-***-**** number & couldn't get through to anyone? You should have much better luck with your local office. I'll give you a link where, using your ZipCode, you can find the address and telephone number of the closest local office.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

[Note: Some local offices don't publish a local number; if you find that to be the case with your local office, you'll either need to call the "800" number above, or the better option would be to visit you local office.]

Let me know if I can further assist you.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

keeperumiami
Your advice was fine but the S.S. web site was a mess. I couldn't find any mention of 'address change'. I was hoping to avoid having to go to the S.S. Office. Thanks anyway.

On the website, all you need to do is to go into your "Profile" after you establish a "MySocialSecurity" account and make the address change.

I know the website can be confusing; If I could make the change for you, I would be happy to do so, but due to the Privacy Laws, we are not allowed to access your personal information, which actually is a good thing in this day & age of computer fraud. Many customers have been able to make their changes this way.

The other option which also works quite well is to simply call your local office & once they confirm your identity, you can make the change on the telephone. Again, here's the link:

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

If you are able to use this additional information, perhaps you will be able to change my rating to 5 stars >00<.

Thanks very much,