dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Do I sign up for medicare here? I have recently turned 65

Customer Question

Do I sign up for medicare here?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have recently turned 65 and keep hearing that I need to sign up for medicare. Are there penalties for not doing this? Or a time frame?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I am hoping to retire this year but do not have an exact date yet.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Just Answer is not associated with Social Security/Medicare so we do not have access to your personal information.

If you are 65, you should apply for Medicare Part A. If you are still working and covered by your employer's health insurance, you can choose to wait to apply for Medicare Part B, but if you don't sign up for Medicare when you're first eligible and don't have other coverage based on current employment, you could have to pay a late enrollment penalty later when you do enroll.

https://www.ehealthmedicare.com/faq-do-i-need-medicare-part-a-or-part-b-if-i-am-still-working/

You can apply for Medicare in one of three ways:

1. The quickest and easiest way is to use your online "My Social Security" account. If you do not yet have an online Social Security account, you can register at the following link:

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

2. Call Social Security at 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

3. Visit your local Social Security office.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb