Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I began receiving SS at age 62. My ex-husband was 61 then.

I began receiving SS...

I began receiving SS at age 62. My ex-husband was 61 then. I'm now 66 (born in 1951). Can I suspend my own SS now, and only take his, allowing mine to build until I'm 70? Or did I lose that option by taking mine early?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Yes. A second question: The SSA has told me I can receive an approximately $200 more a month (on top of what I get now from my SS) if I file for my ex-husband's SS. If I do that, am I eligible for the 6 months of RETROACTIVE payments that the SSA describe on their website, since I haven't received anything in the past from my ex, and am now 66?

3/8/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The answers are no and no. Once you apply for social security benefits before your full retirement age you lose the opportunity to gain extra credit by switching to lower spousal benefits. To get extra credit while receiving spousal benefits you have to wait until your full retirement age, file restricted application for spousal benefits only and at 70 switch to your own.

The same apply for retroactive payments. Retroactive payments are only available if you apply for benefits at full retirement age. Benefits based on your ex spouse's records are still your benefits, they are not treated separately.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser