Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If one gets a direct deposit from Social Security, the bank…

Customer Question
If one gets a...

If one gets a direct deposit from Social Security, the bank statement shows that an amount is listed from "SSA Treas 310", then a PPD ID no. However, shouldn't that PPD ID no. remain the same for a certain individual? Also, shouldn't the "SSA Treas and no." on the statement remain the same? The reason why I ask is that my brother who's in assisted living (hence I have to help him), had a certain amount received from Social Sec. with a specific PPD ID no. Then that PPD ID no. changed and his monthly benefit was reduced by about $175. Who can he talk to determine why the reduction? Was there some identity theft? This reduction has lasted for many months. Can he go to the local office to determine why the reduction? I live in Virginia, and he lives in California. He's in a wheel chair and can hardly get around. When I try calling the SS no., I'm told that he has to be on the phone due to privacy rights. I can't do conference calling from my phone. Is there someone whom I can address the letter in Social Security with my brother's signature? He's lost so much money already from the reduction. I want desperately to help him. Please advise.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

That's it. His monthly payment has been reduced. He goes to the VA hospital regularly for treatment, and he needs his money,

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/8/2018
Social Security Expert: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Your Questions:

If one gets a direct deposit from Social Security, the bank statement shows that an amount is listed from "SSA Treas 310", then a PPD ID no. However, shouldn't that PPD ID no. remain the same for a certain individual?

Response 1: No, it does not.

Also, shouldn't the "SSA Treas and no." on the statement remain the same?

Response 2: Yes, it should and it does because the treasury number indicates the kind of benefits the person is receiving.

The reason why I ask is that my brother who's in assisted living (hence I have to help him), had a certain amount received from Social Sec. with a specific PPD ID no. Then that PPD ID no. changed and his monthly benefit was reduced by about $175.

Response 3: The PPD number indicates which Treasury's processing center processed that particular payment. That would not have any effect on the amount that he receives.

Who can he talk to determine why the reduction?

Response 4: Make a telephone appointment to speak with a representative if you cannot go in person. However, before you do this, you need to apply to become your brother's Personal Representative. This is different from a Representative Payee. Personal Representative acts on behalf of the claimant before Social Security Administration. Representative Payee is the one that receives and manages the claimant's money. One person can be both. Click here to download the Personal Representative form.

Was there some identity theft?

Response 5: Unfortunately, I do not know.

This reduction has lasted for many months. Can he go to the local office to determine why the reduction?

Response 6: He can if it is possible.

I live in Virginia, and he lives in California. He's in a wheel chair and can hardly get around. When I try calling the SS no., I'm told that he has to be on the phone due to privacy rights. I can't do conference calling from my phone.

Response 7: To avoid this, you need to apply to become his Personal Representative so that you can act on his behalf on Social Security matters except receiving payments on his behalf. If you want to receive payments on his behalf, you need to also apply to be his Representative Payee.

Is there someone whom I can address the letter in Social Security with my brother's signature? He's lost so much money already from the reduction. I want desperately to help him.

Response 8: Kindly see my previous responses.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.