Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband turned 65 this last January. If he were to retire…

Customer Question
My husband turned 65...

My husband turned 65 this last January. If he were to retire now how much will he loose in payment?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

He works in manufacturing and has to stand on cement floors for 8 hrs a day. He has arthritis in his knees and legs and it is very difficult to work.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I don’t think so.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/7/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your husband's FRA - full retirement age is 66.

Full retirement age is the age at which a person may first become entitled to full or unreduced retirement benefits.

No matter what your full retirement age (also called "normal retirement age") is, you may start receiving benefits as early as age 62 or as late as age 70.

If your husband starts his benefits from age 65 - his benefits will be permanently reduced and will be 93.3% of his PIA - primary insurance amount which he would receive at age 66 (his FRA)

But he will be getting benefits for additional 12 months.

If he starts at age 65 + 3 months - his benefits will be 95% of PIA

.

If your husband is not able to work due to medical condition - I might suggest to apply for disability benefits.

Let me know if you need any help.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.