Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

At 66 I filed and suspended. My wife filed for spousal

At 66 I filed...

At 66 I filed and suspended. My wife filed for spousal payments.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am now 69 and want to collect social security. Can my wife still collect spousal payments until she is 70?

3/7/2018
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you can apply for your own benefits and yes she can keep spousal until 70. As long as you are married she is eligible for spousal benefits, regardless what you decide to do with your own.

My wife is also 69. So what you are saying she can continue spousal payments and let her SS grow till she reaches 70.

That's correct.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser