Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am changing banks how do I get my social security check…

Customer Question
I am changing...

I am changing banks how do I get my social security check direct deposit movednto my new bank?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I want my social security check deposited into a different bank than it is nomy name is ***** ***** dob: 3/27/1938

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No I'm just chamging my bank

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
3/7/2018
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 4 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hello Mr. Thompson,

Before I provide the information that you need, let me clarify that you are not at the Social Security Administration website. This is a private website, "Just Answer," where experts and professionals will answer your questions, such as this one.

If you arrived here in error, please contact the site administrator and let them know, and they will refund anything you paid.

I will give you the information you need here. Don't feel obligated to provide a rating to this answer if you did not intend to be here in the first place.

To change your direct deposit information, you will have to either call Social Security, visit the local office, or create an online "my social security" account.

1. Call the Social Security Administration customer service line. The toll free number is(###) ###-#### and they’re available Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. eastern time. Be prepared to wait on “hold” for a half hour to an hour. But once you’re in you’ll get what you need quickly. The customer service reps are in general very good.

2. Visit your local Social Security office. You may use their office locator tool to find the address, hours, and directions to the nearest office:
https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

3. If you don’t already have an online “my social security” account, you can create on quickly and easily. You will need the following information:

• Your name as it appears on your social security account and your social security number;
  • Your date of birth;
  • A U.S. mailing address and phone number (there’s a link if you don’t have a home phone)
  • A U.S. issued driver’s license or ID card number, that is valid (not expired);
  • A valid e-mail address;
  • It helps if you have a cell phone that is capable of receiving text messages. This allows you to receive your security code without having to leave the SSA page to view your email;
  • Be prepared to create (and write down) a user name and a password;
  • Be prepared to select three security questions/answers (and write them down also!);

Once you have all your materials together, go to the following web page, scroll down to the bottom, check the box that says “I agree to the terms of service,” and click “Next.”

https://secure.ssa.gov/RIR/CatsView.do

The program will take you through a series of questions. Takes about 10 minutes. When completed it will send you a security code that you can choose to receive by text or e-mail. Choose text if you can.

Once your account is created you will have access to your earnings history, you will be able to order replacement cards, view your benefits, print a benefits verification, change your direct deposit information, and view/print your 1099-SSA from the current year and one prior year, for tax purposes.

I hope that helped. As I said, if you intended to come to this site and ask this question, please don't forget to rate this answer. If you arrived here in error, just consider this information to be a gift from me. I hope you are able to resolve this quickly and easily. Thank you.