Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Im self empoyed and my child revives ssi .social security…

Customer Question
Im self empoyed and...

Im self empoyed and my child revives ssi .social security says i didn't report income for 2015 but i attend

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Sorry yes i took my tax papers to a ssi meeting in 2015 but ssi says its not noted so im to pay back 8000 for 2015 in overpayment

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No im always good with my self employment tax pappers and i dont understand why there saying. I didn't report my income for 2 yrs back

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 9 days by:
3/12/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

An overpayment occurs when Social Security pays you more than you should have been paid.

If this happens, the SSA will notify you. Their notice will tell you why you have been overpaid and how you can pay back.

.

If you do not agree that you have been overpaid, or if you believe the amount is incorrect, you can appeal by filing Form SSA-561, Request for Reconsideration. You should explain why you think you have not been overpaid or why you think the amount is not correct.

.

If you agree that you have been overpaid and are willing to pay it back, but cannot afford to pay it back at the rate we tell you about in our letter, you should file Form SSA-632, Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate.

.

If you agree that you have been overpaid, but you feel you should not have to pay it back because you did not cause the overpayment and you cannot afford to repay it, you should file Form SSA-632, Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate.

.

The SSA will stop recovering the overpayment until we make a decision on your request.

Let me know if you need any further help.