Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was recently divorced and I am told that my ex-wife is…

Customer Question
I was recently divorced...

I was recently divorced and I am told that my ex-wife is getting her social security payments based on my earnings record. Is this legal and does it effect the amount that I receive?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My name is***** (***-**-****). The ex wife is Georgia Dentner (***-**-****). She was receiving social security based on her earnings record until she found out that she could get more by claiming payments based on my earnings record. Is this legal and does it effect how much my payments are for?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I can't think of anything else.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
2/15/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your ex-spouse may be eligible to receive social security benefits based on your earning record if you were married at least 10 years.

Yes - that is absolutely legal - and you might qualify for spousal benefits in a similar manner.

That fact will NOT affect the amount of YOUR benefits.

Let me know if you need any help.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.