Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can I begin collecting SS even if I am still working? Or do…

Can I begin collecting...

Can I begin collecting SS even if I am still working? Or do I have to physically leave the company I work for to collect?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am 66. I love my job but I would like to begin collecting my social security. Is there a limit to how much I can earn? Do I have to leave the company I work for now?

1/21/2018
Carter McBride

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you.

You can keep working and get Social Security. Your benefits may be limited based on your income.

If you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, your earnings may reduce your benefit amount. (Full retirement age is 66 for people born between 1943 and 1954. Beginning with 1955, two months are added for every birth year until the full retirement age reaches 67 for people born in 1960 or later.)

Hope that helps. If you need anything else, just let me know. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

• If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2017, that limit is $16,920.

• In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2017, the limit on your earnings is $44,880 but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

Carter McBride
Just to be clear, I can make $100,000, and still collect my full retirement amount?

Yes, your benefits will not be reduced based on your earnings since you hit full retirement age.

Thank you.