Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How do I set up an account on-line? I am 62 years of age and…

Customer Question
How do I set...

How do I set up an account on-line?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am 62 years of age and looking at my options of retiring on spousal survivor benefits.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

My husband died in October 2017 from pancreatic cancer. He was 62 years of age at the time of his death. He was drawing SSI at the time of his death.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/19/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

...

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response. Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

You are eligible for what's called the SURVIVOR benefit (larger than the spousal benefit which is the benefit on another's work record while that person is alive).

...

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older—100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60—full retirement age—71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;

The SURVIVOR benefit, however, is the only benefit that cannot be applied for online. YOU'll need to call the 1-800 OR call that number to set an appointment to go into the office.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday

...

Or, again, you can go to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

I'm attaching a set of instructions for setting up your online account, to look at your earnings record, etc.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit"– That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, or if I've not understood your question correctly, please let me know.

Lane