Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife has had the same s.s. benefits for 3 years.She is 84…

My wife has had...

My wife has had the same s.s. benefits for 3 years.She is 84 years of age.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Her benefits for 2013 were $793. 2014-$806. 2015,2016.2017 $822

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not to my knowledge

1/19/2018
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

It appears that your wife is in the same boat as a great many Social Security beneficiaries.

I can tell from the amounts that you indicated, that when there was a cost of living increase, it was insufficient to cover the increase in Medicare premiums.

In fact, except for the change in the law that provided that the Medicare premium increases couldn't reduce her Social Security benefits in any year. So what that meant is that those premium increases have been carried forward until there was a sufficient cost of living increase to cover the increased Medicare premiums from the current or prior years that weren't fully covered in the past. That's why the 2% cost of living increase for 2018 was substantially reduced or eliminated by the accumulated Medicare premium increases, not fully covered in those prior years.

Your wife should have received (in December or early January) a notice (when opened, a long white paper notice) of the breakdown of what her 2018 benefits consisted of; ie. showing the gross benefits and the Medicare premium offsets.

If that document was not received or has been misplaced, you can obtain the information in the form of a "Print-Out" from your local Social Security office. Here's a link where, using your Zipcode, you can find the address and telephone number of your closest Social Security office.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the site will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

Totally unsatisfactory as the text I received gave a site I was unable to reach

Hold on a minute.

What "Text" are you referring to?

I didn't send any text?

I just tried the link I gave you to locate the address & telephone number of your closest Social Security office & it works fine.

The answer I gave you is accurate; the problem is the increase in Medicare premiums; this has affected the majority of Social Security beneficiaries, I should know, I'm one of them that had my benefits offset by the Medicare Premium increases.

keeperumiami
Thank you for the clear explanation. I'd rate 5stars
sorry for the text reference
The additional charge in addition to the $5.00 was not made clear to me and I would like to request a refund. Thanks