Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Someone opened a credit card in myname. Bank told me to

Customer Question
Someone opened a credit...

Someone opened a credit card in myname. Bank told me to notify SSA. How do I do this when I can't get SSA to answer phone???

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My name is***** I got a letter from TD Bank that I was past due on my account, of course I called them right away and they put a stop n the account and told me to call and let SSA know and call and report it to a Credit Bureau. I tried to do this yesterday, no luck.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I just need to get this taken care of. I'm 81 and am confused.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/18/2018
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You correctly contacted TD Bank and notified them of the fraud.

As far as SSA, the bank gave you incorrect information for having a credit card opened in your name.

You will want to report this specific identity theft to the three major credit reporting companies, and you may want to put a fraud alert on your credit file.

Equifax – www.equifax.com
Fraud Victim Assistance Department
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374
1-***-***-****

Experian – www.experian.com
National Consumer Assistance
P.O. Box 9554
Allen, TX 75013
1-***-***-****

TransUnion – www.transunion.com
Fraud Victim Assistance Department
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016
1-***-***-****

You will also want to file a police report and file a report with the Federal Trade Commission.

https://www.identitytheft.gov/

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 6 months ago

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.