Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have an immigrant student who is 58 years old. She wants…

Customer Question
I have an immigrant...

I have an immigrant student who is 58 years old. She wants to work in anticipation of retiring and collecting social security. I heard that there are required quarters. What are quarters and how many would she need? PM

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have an immigrant student who is 58 years old. She wants to work in anticipation of retiring and collecting social security. I heard that there are required quarters. What are quarters and how many would she need? What else do you need to know

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

She has been in the US for almost 4 years. She lived with her son up until now. She is from Ukraine

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/17/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response. Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

For retirement benefits she will need 40 quarters (Ten Years).

...

The amount of earnings required for a quarter of coverage (QC) in 2018 is $1,320.

...

Can be less than that for disability (SSDI)

You can see this from Social Security here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/credits.html

...

From there: "The number of work credits you need to get retirement benefits depends on your date of birth.

If you were born in 1929 or later, you need 40 credits (10 years of work). People born before 1929 need fewer than 40 credits (39 credits if born in 1928; 38 credits if born in 1927; etc.)."

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit"– That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, \please let me know.

Lane